Defamatory content posted on the internet can destroy the reputation of an individual, a small business or a Fortune 500 company. Vorys lawyers team with cyber investigators to stop internet defamation that damages companies. Our team works to identify and stop anonymous defamers, removes defamatory information from websites and search engine indices, and seeks to recover damages.
In the wild west atmosphere of the internet, experience matters. Vorys lawyers have developed solutions to the negative situations that companies can face online, including defamation and false reviews. Our group of 18 attorneys focuses on these issues daily, and we continually refine our strategies and tactics to best suit our clients. We have been involved in a variety of internet defamation cases and understand how to navigate the common pitfalls. Some of our recent successes include:
- Obtaining a court order that resulted in the removal of over 50 URLs containing defamatory content concerning our client from various search engines, including Google.
- Obtaining a court order that resulted in the removal of a website that was damaging a large financial company.
- Obtaining a court order that resulted in the removal of false statements on Ripoff Report from Google’s search indices related to a high profile business employee.
- Assisting clients with an analysis of competitors’ online marketing tactics to determine if they were legal and/or violated the policies of Google and other search engines.
- Obtaining a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction ordering a client’s former customer to cease making false statements about the business online. These orders were submitted to Google, which in turn removed more than 30 false postings from its search indices.
Internet defamation cases are complex and oftentimes require the skills of other service providers in our industry. We understand how to use our legal services in combination with other service providers and have developed a network of crisis response professionals to assist with these matters. This network includes:
- Cyber & Internet Investigators – Vorys works with well-established cyber investigation specialists to help determine critical information, including the identities of attackers who believe they are anonymous.
- Crisis Communications – When a company comes under attack, often it is an “all-hands-on-deck” crisis. When warranted, Vorys will call on our network of PR and crisis communications experts to assist. These experts vary from traditional PR firms because they understand the viral nature of both the internet and social media.
- Search Engine Optimization Specialists – Our crisis response team also includes SEO specialists who can help mitigate damages in an efficient manner.
- Expert Witnesses – Vorys has assembled a collection of expert witnesses who understand the true extent of internet damage and the realistic cost of removing defamation from the internet. These experts are often called in for trials and for cases headed for arbitration.
Across the United States
A business or an individual will often seek an attorney based in their area of residence. However, because of the highly specialized nature of internet law, there are few attorneys who have significant experience with internet defamation. Our team focuses on these cases daily and is often simultaneously working on dozens of cases across the nation. Our attorneys are admitted in many states across the country. Plus, we have a well-developed network of local counsel with whom we work on a regular basis in our capacity as national and regional counsel.
Quick Response is Needed
False statements on the internet can severely damage reputations. Search engines optimize results by relevancy, not by quality. Lies and deliberate misinformation can spread virally on the internet just as easily as legitimate consumer concerns or complaints. Given the short statute of limitations for online defamation cases it is important to consider taking action quickly.
Our team has had numerous clients that believed an internet defamation issue would go away. Over time, the issues got worse and when the client wanted to take action it was often too late. If you are beginning to experience online attacks, it is best to seek counsel regarding your possible solutions sooner rather than later.
What Happens When You Contact Us?
Our team will not only determine whether you or your company has a viable legal action, but we also will work with you to determine the most effective and cost efficient way to solve your problem. We will determine whether there are ways to remove defamatory content without legal action or without incurring cost of litigation.
Call Whitney Gibson at 855.542.9192 or contact us.